- To reduce the spread of HIV infection in India.
- Strengthen India’s capacity to respond to the HIV/AIDS on a long term basis.
- To keep HIV prevalence rate below 5% of adult population in Maharashtra, below 3% in Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Manipur, Tamilnadu where the HIV prevalence is moderate and below 1% in remaining States, where the epidemic is still at a nascent stage.
- To reduce blood borne transmission of HIV to less than 1%.
- To attain awareness level of not less than 90% amongst the youth and others in the reproductive age group.
- To achieve Condom use of not less than 90% among high risk categories like Commercial Sex Workers.