We concentrate on the problem of HIV/AIDS. We are involved with:
• Slides on AIDS
- Awareness programs: More than 750 programs conducted in schools and colleges, women’s groups, industrial workers, citizens residing in the slums, health care providers, etc.
- Training programs: For trainers, animators, to conduct awareness programs, social workers for development of community–based programs and counseling services, medical practitioners for diagnosis and management of HIV/AIDS.
- Creation of information software: Publication of books, booklets, flipcharts, poster sets, slide sets and other audio–visual material.
- Dissemination of information: Our ‘AIDS Networking and Information Centre’ (ANIC) is supported by a well–stocked and specialized library and documentation Centre. The facilities are open to all.
- Counseling Centre: For individuals requiring information on HIV, for individuals infected with HIV, both adults as well as children.
- Care and support system for people with HIV: We coordinate and arrange for diagnosis, treatment, hospitalization and home–care of individuals with HIV, both adults as well as children.
- Collaborations: With other organizations dealing with the problems of HIV/AIDS, especially the ones working with marginalized communities like women in prostitution and their children, MSM, street children, unemployed youth, etc.
- Research: We conduct, collaborate and participate in research activities related to sexuality, sexual behavior and social as well as medical aspects of HIV/AIDS.
- Establishment of AIDS Networking and Information Centre (ANIC). (Grant provided by Overseas Development Network, 1995.).
- AIDS Awareness slides and posters set, gender sensitive Marathi slide show for AIDS awareness programmes. (In collaboration with CEHAT, 1994–97.) (Now translated into Hindi and English, 1999.).
- Health seeking behavior of women from low income areas regarding their reproductive tract illnesses. (A collaborative study with John Hopkins Institute, 1997–98.).
- Sexual behavior, networking, language of men having sex with men (MSM) in an urban setting. (A study completed under a grant provided by the Ford Foundation, 1997–99.) Under the same grant we prepared two book “Pudhe kay?” and “HIV/AIDS: Diagnosis and Management, A physician’s Handbook”, prepared a video film “Chandrapurchya janglat” and translated our Marathi slide set into Hindi, English and facilitated its translation into other languages.
- “HIV/AIDS vishayee he mala mahit have!” (Marathi) (I must know this about HIV/AIDS) (first edition 1995, second edition 1999).
- Children and AIDS (English) (1996).
- Handbook for animators (Marathi) (1997).
- ‘Pudhe kay?’ (Marathi) (What next?) (1999).
- HIV/AIDS mhanaje ahe tari kay? (Marathi) and Madhyamanshi maitree (Marathi) (1999).
- HIV/AIDS Diagnosis and Management – A Physician’s Handbook, (editor Dr. Vinay Kulkarni) (1999).
Karve Road, Deccan Gymkhana,
Pune 411 004. Maharashtra, India
Telephone: +91 20 25441230
Tel/Fax: +91 20 25420337