Saturday, Jul 22nd

Last update:05:44:44 AM IST

Recent Posts:
Homearrow News and Events Year 2010 Departure of U of L AIDS clinic doctor distresses patients - Louisville Courier-Journal

Departure of U of L AIDS clinic doctor distresses patients - Louisville Courier-Journal

Deborah Wade, WINGS program director, said it was Huangs decision not to do trials. She said U of L had dismissed a clinical trial nurse, leaving Huang the physically impossible task of handling several trials herself despite a heavy patient load.

SUPPORT FOR HUANG

Wade joined many colleagues and patients in praising Huang. She is one of the most knowledgeable HIV clinicians in the country, Wade said. We have been extremely fortunate to work alongside her. Were devastated.

Health workers elsewhere described Huang as Louisvilles voice for HIV care. Besides having a statewide reputation, she is recognized as one of the premier experts in this part of the country, said Frank Romanelli, UK associate professor of pharmacy.

Dr. Alice Thornton, project director of UKs Bluegrass Care Clinic, said Huang advised her when she sought Ryan White funding and helped her plan a state HIV conference.

She is a leader in her community at the local and state level, Thornton said.

. Shes passionate-plus, plus, plus.

Huangs patient Wenger credited her with keeping him alive by convincing him to take his antiretroviral medications two years ago. I love her, he said. I think its preposterous whats happening.

Wenger said he plans to stay with WINGS because he doesnt think he has a choice he wants a Louisville doctor, but is uninsured and believes it would be tough to find care elsewhere. If I dont like my (new WINGS) physician, Ill just have to suck it up, he said.

Bobby Edelen, 53, said Huang helped him manage his disease by starting him on a once-a-day drug regimen, shepherding him through illnesses and giving him the confidence to become an HIV activist.

Dr. Matthew Zahn, medical director of the Louisville Metro Department of Public Health & Wellness and a U of L assistant professor, agreed Huang has provided a tremendous contribution to the city.

But he added: We understand the university remains committed to supporting the WINGS Clinic and serving its clients.

Reporter Laura Ungar can be reached at (502) 582-7190.

Disclaimer: The news story on this page is the copyright of the cited publication. This has been reproduced here for visitors to review, comment on and discuss. This is in keeping with the principle of 'Fair dealing' or 'Fair use'. Visitors may click on the publication name, in the news story, to visit the original article as it appears on the publication's website.

Newsletters

Newsletters

Publications

Know Your Rights!

Link to Aarogya

aarogya logo

Suggestions?

This is YOUR sites, so if you have suggestions or feedback on how we can improve it for you, please let us know! We do our best to keep up!

Make a Suggestion