Thursday, Jan 19th

Last update:05:44:44 AM IST

Recent Posts:
Homearrow News and Events Year 2010 Turned Away by Hospitals, HIV+ Woman Delivers Baby in Ambulance

Turned Away by Hospitals, HIV+ Woman Delivers Baby in Ambulance

Indian Express
22 July 2010
Vadodara, India

The woman with her newborn baby.The woman with her newborn baby.
A 27–YEAR–OLD HIV–positive woman delivered a child in the ambulance while she was on her way to Sir Sayajirao General (SSG) Hospital on Thursday. The patient was first taken to two Dabhoibased hospitals from where she was referred to the SSG Hospital.

The woman was allegedly turned away and referred to the SSG Hospital by the two hospitals after they came to know of her HIV status.

However, the woman, who tested positive for HIV along with her husband a few months ago, is determined to keep her newborn child safe from the HIV. Her other three children do not carry the virus.

“My husband tested positive for HIV nine months ago.

We all immediately got tests done. Luckily, my children were spared of it but I tested positive. Both of us are under treatment for the last six months and are taking utmost care. I am also taking every possible precaution so that I can save the child from contracting the virus. The doctors here said he is healthy,” said the mother of four.

The woman was first taken to Dabhoi–based Community Health Centre (CHC) and a private hospital in the area from where she was referred to the SSGH. “On our way to Vadodara from Dabhoi, she delivered the child in the ambulance while we were near Thuvavi village. The two hospitals turned away the patient saying she needs a Ceaserean,” said a 108 emergency service member.

The woman works as a maid at Dabhoi and her husband Dharmesh Thakor is a daily wage labourer. Her other three children were delivered on road before she could arrive at healthcare units.

“After going to the two hospitals, we decided to come to the SSGH since we are undergoing HIV treatment here,” Thakor said.

Disclaimer: The news story on this page is the copyright of the cited publication. This has been reproduced here for visitors to review, comment on and discuss. This is in keeping with the principle of ‘Fair dealing’ or ‘Fair use’. Visitors may click on the publication name, in the news story, to visit the original article as it appears on the publication’s website.

Newsletters

Newsletters

Publications

Know Your Rights!

Link to Aarogya

aarogya logo

Suggestions?

This is YOUR sites, so if you have suggestions or feedback on how we can improve it for you, please let us know! We do our best to keep up!

Make a Suggestion