Last update:05:44:44 AM IST

Recent Posts:
Homearrow News and Events Year 2011 Shunned By Family, Sheltered By Stranger

Shunned By Family, Sheltered By Stranger

Times of India
30 November 2011
By Vijay Singh
Sindhudurg India
Stigma Continues To Ruin Lives Even Though Figures Show Decline In HIV Cases Across The Country

Radha and her sister–in–law Meena (names changed) sport broad smiles as they go about their business of cooking food for themselves and other workers at a poultry farm in Vengurla taluka of Sindhudurg. Their five children run through the farm, chase hens and play cheerfully like most kids their age.

Shunned By Family, Sheltered By Stranger

However, things were very different for the two widowed women and their kids just two months ago. Radha and Meena lost their husbands to AIDS a few years ago. A few years later, Radha and one of her three children—15–year–old daughter—tested positive for HIV as did Meena and one of two her kids.

"Around two months ago, my father–in–law, Balkrishna Parab, threw me, his daughter and our children out of the house at Pondaghat village in Kankavli taluka (about 460 km from Mumbai) because we had tested positive for HIV," said 37–year–old Meena. "We were forced to beg with our kids."

"We contracted the disease from our husbands, so how can we be blamed for it," asked Meena whose 14–yearold son is HIV positive.

The widows, who were shunned by their own family, were adopted by the poultry farm owner, Pandurang Kurade (54), whom they respectfully call 'baba' (father).

Kurade thanks the local media for highlighting the plight of the widows and their children. "On October 25, I saw a photograph of the family sleeping on a dusty road in a regional newspaper. I was shocked to learn that none of the villagers had come forward to rehabilitate them and decided to adopt them," said Kurade. He has secured admission for two of the girls in commerce stream of a junior college and is trying to admit two of the younger kids in a local school.

Senior district officials of Sindhudurg recently felicitated Kurade for being a 'Good Samaritan'.
The women weren't even allowed to take shelter on the premises of the village temple. An influential villager, who had donated Rs 51,000 to the temple, took objection to the w i d ow s taking shelter in the house of the gods.

Disclaimer: The news story on this page is the copyright of the cited publication. This has been reproduced here for visitors to review, comment on and discuss. This is in keeping with the principle of ‘Fair dealing’ or ‘Fair use’. Visitors may click on the publication name, in the news story, to visit the original article as it appears on the publication’s website.

Newsletters

Newsletters

Publications

Know Your Rights!

Link to Aarogya

aarogya logo

Suggestions?

This is YOUR sites, so if you have suggestions or feedback on how we can improve it for you, please let us know! We do our best to keep up!

Make a Suggestion