Friday, May 26th

Last update:05:44:44 AM IST

Recent Posts:
Homearrow News and Events Year 2012 34 HIV positive children enter Chennai school after long struggle

34 HIV positive children enter Chennai school after long struggle

Times Of India
09 Nov 2012
Chennai, India.

Every time eight–year–old Maya sees a visitor, she shows off her new gifts – a white starched shirt, a maroon skirt and a pair of school shoes. "Today was my first day at school, I was a little scared in the beginning, but I made a lot of new friends," she says coyly.

Maya is among 34 residents of a children’s home in Bandikavanur village, about 30 km from Chennai, who stepped into a school for the first time on Wednesday after HIV played havoc in their lives. They are all children of HIV+ve people. While most of them have lost either or both of their parents, 19 of them inherited the virus. The children – 18 girls and 16 boys – were admitted to a primary school in Thiruvallur district under the Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan’s (SSA) ‘Education for all’ scheme.

Aarogya news

For most of these children, the scheme gave them their first shot at leading a "normal" life. "I’ve often stood by the gate of the children’s home and watched school kids in uniforms jostle with one another. I wished I could join them and be their friend, but I wasn’t sure if they would accept me. Today I finally got a chance to be a student," said 10–year–old Mani*, who lost both his parents to HIV.

Disclaimer: The news story on this page is the copyright of the cited publication. This has been reproduced here for visitors to review, comment on and discuss. This is in keeping with the principle of ’Fair dealing’ or ’Fair use’. Visitors may click on the publication name, in the news story, to visit the original article as it appears on the publication’s website.

Newsletters

Newsletters

Publications

Know Your Rights!

Link to Aarogya

aarogya logo

Suggestions?

This is YOUR sites, so if you have suggestions or feedback on how we can improve it for you, please let us know! We do our best to keep up!

Make a Suggestion